Let me begin with telling you that , this piece .is going to be my first post on WordPress which is not going to get tagged in the Poetry/Poem category.
I started working out in the second year of my college. I weighed around 76 Kgs and I was around 5’7″ tall. I was a bit on the heavier side but I had weak muscles. One of my friends wanted to join the Army so he wanted to get in shape. He wanted to join a gym and he needed a companion. (Eventually he quit after an year due to an injury that he did not get in the gym). I have been working out for around 5 years. I have never taken a break for more than 15 days at a stretch from the gym but yes, I was more regular and could spend more time working out back in my college days.
In the following paragraph I will be writing about the mistakes that I made in the early days of my time in the gym. I hope , some of you find it helpful.
I loved training my biceps and never paid more attention to my triceps-
1. Choosing some of the exercises as your favorites and giving you 100% to those exercises and choosing some of the exercises as the ones you never want to do and doing them halfheartedly.
I ignored my back and leg muscle groups for quite some time-
2. Completely ignoring some muscle groups because doing them does not give you the kick.
I tried to lift more weight while doing biceps rather than changing the pattern of my exercise regularly and doing a variety of exercises with utmost precision–
3. Quality beats quantity in the gym too! You must challenge your muscle groups with a variety of different exercise routines. Doing the exercises properly will pump your muscles in a short time and it will also reduce the risk of getting hurt.
I did not do sprints on the treadmill. I went for long cardio sessions-
4. Long cardio sessions can help you to reduce weight. But once you have lost the fat, in order to get toned muscles , you need to do sprints. Sprints are more effective. Just google the images of athletes who have won the marathon and those who have won 100m races!
I exercises and continued with my regular meal-
5. If you start working hard and keep eating your regular meal that you used to eat before joining the gym it will not help you much. In order to get muscles you need more nutritious food. In order to lose fat you need to stop having junk foods. The bottom line is you diet has got to change.
I developed a natural aversion towards food supplements-
6. I developed this aversion early in my gym days and I got rid of it only a few months ago. The reason I did not like food supplement is that I used to think taking artificial lab made stuff is bad for health and also I did not prefer to put muscles on this way. But truth is that food supplements are not steroids! If you cannot eat a lot of “natural” food then you must compensate your body’s demand with food supplements for quick and better results.
I never get myself enough sleep-
7. This one is a critical mistake and whats more wrong about it that I still cannot fix this one. I am sure most of you guys make this mistake too. If you get sleep less than 6 hours a day you can have your body screwed up by introducing hormonal imbalance problem. Your testosterone level can drop and cortisol level can go up dramatically. In short you will find it harder to burn the fat and put muscles on.
I paid less attention to body weight resistance training-
8. Body weight resistance exercises like push ups, pull ups, chin ups, parallel bars are a great way to shape your muscles as well as to increase strength. Its not a good thing to get obsessed with iron at the start.